Sunday, July 27, 2014

Israeli Movie Festival: A Break from Wartime Reality





I was walking from the Kotel around 9:00pm, when I noticed there were people at the entrance of the Tower of David. The tower is a medieval fortress, containing archeological findings 2,700 years old. During the day, there's a museum inside this historical site, so I was curious why people were there late at night.

I discovered that the first Lord of the Rings movie was playing at the Tower of David as part of the Israeli movie festival. I was intrigued by this instantly! One, I'm a big fan of The Lord of the Rings movies and two, how was a movie going to be played in this ancient citadel?


I walk by this tower every time I enter the Old City through Jaffa Gate and yet, I had never gone inside before that evening. I stepped inside the fort and went back in time. I am always astonished when I walk on the Jerusalem stones and touch the walls from thousands of years ago. I'm grateful to see Jerusalem's history before my eyes and I can only hope the site will stand the test of time. 


Down some steps and through the fort, lies an area of grass outdoors. I saw a group of 50 people sitting down on portable seats, watching the movie projected on the ancient stone walls. Parents, children, Israelis of all ages gathered to watch the movie. On this quiet night in the Old City, you could not hear rocket sirens; you could only hear the voices of Gandalf and Frodo.



 
What a beautiful thing it was, to see Israelis taking a break from their current reality. Taking a break from the news, the criticisms, the worry, the pain. Taking a break from war.

When I see Israelis carry on with their lives by going to work and enjoying their time out in town, I see strength. Despite the adversity Israel as a country faces, its people persevere.

These Israelis at the Tower of David face the unpredictability of running to a bomb shelter at any time of day.

These Israelis might be an IDF soldier, or a past soldier, or will mandatorily be a soldier at the age of 18.

These Israelis probably know some friends, family, or loved ones in Gaza whom are risking their lives every day to defend the country.  


And yet, these Israelis are watching The Lord of the Rings...


Going to the movie theatre or watching 'On Demand' at home is normal to me. However, I'd say Israelis treasure this normalcy. To live with a certain extent of normalcy is a fortunate thing that should be cherished, not taken for granted.

How appropriate it was to sit in the Tower of David that night. Just as this ancient citadel was used for military protection, I felt protected as well. During the movie, I felt untouched by the war, the antisemitism in the world, the political nonsense, and the daily tension. I was simply watching a movie on a cool night in beautiful Jerusalem.

 I only wish that all Israelis can return to some blissful normalcy once again.

-Camille Pilar Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment