Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Nation of Perseverance



Loud, daunting sirens go off. The same sirens people warned us about in case of a terrorist attack. How can anyone really be prepared for that? I was hanging out with friends in my hostel when I heard the rocket warning siren. Everything from that point on went by so fast. My friends and I barely looked at each other and said nothing. We all knew. We had 90 vital seconds to get down to the bomb shelter. The run down the three flights of stairs is a blur. Trying to catch my breath was a struggle. We got down to the bomb shelter and I awaited any news that could determine my fate.  

The sad thing is, what I went through last night is a standard for some communities in Israel. It was a reminder of the threat the Israelis constantly face. According to the IDF, over 450 rockets have been fired at Israel since the beginning of the year. Yesterday, 160 rockets were fired from Gaza and
today there were another 72 rockets fired. Coming to Israel for the summer, I knew the risk, but was doubtful I'd ever face it. At the beginning of the program, our madrichim showed us the bomb shelter in the hostel and told us what to do in case of a terrorist attack. At that time, it seemed like an earthquake drill I would practice in elementary school. This was no drill; this was my life.

Fortunately, the iron dome defense system was able to shoot down the rockets yesterday. To my friends and family, it is important to know that I still feel relatively safe in Israel. As scary as last night was, I trust the army to protect us. The IDF is well trained and are taking action against the perpetrators, Hamas. 

Today, I pleasantly strolled around downtown Jerusalem and the Old City. I saw tourists shopping at the Cardo, people praying at the Kotel, and Israeli citizens going on with their lives as normal. To me, that is strength. Even with the latest events, I have had the best summer of my life living in Israel. This experience has enhanced my love for Israel and my pride as a Jew. The Israeli people have come together during these tough times as a community like none I have ever seen. I have faith in the strength of this nation.  עם ישראל חי-- the nation of Israel lives! 

"Israel was not created in order to disappear – Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and the home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom." -John F. Kennedy 

-Camille Pilar Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment