Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Saying Goodbye to the Homeland

The airplane takes off and my eyes start to close as I prepare for 16 hours of traveling back home to California. Missing Israel already, I reflect on the incredible memories I have of a summer filled with joyful and insightful adventures.

I traveled throughout the country spending time in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Ra'anana, Haifa, Tzfat, the Golan, Yeruham, and Gush Etzion. This summer, I grew much closer to Judaism as I celebrated Shabbat every weekend, prayed in the Old City at the Kotel and the Hurva, and for the first time observed Tzom Tammuz and Tish'a B'Av. I learned about the history of Israel by touring the City of David, viewing the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Israel Museum, and hiking in Gush Etzion, where battles took place during the 1948 Israeli War of Independence. I took public transportation to my internship, learned some Hebrew on the way, and thus, surpassed my experience as a Birthright participant by really living as an Israeli for two months.

Along with all these great adventures, I cannot ignore the fact that I was living in Israel during Operation Protective Edge, a monumental time in the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. This life-changing summer consisted of some of the happiest memories of my life and yet, this summer I also witnessed overwhelming tragedies. 


My first week in Israel, the news released that three teenaged boys had been kidnapped in Gush Etzion (funded by Hamas). I don't know what it's like to lose someone dear to me. Fortunately, I have never had to go to a funeral in my life, but this summer in Israel, I attended my first one. I went to the funeral of the three boys that were kidnapped and murdered: Eyal Yifrach, 19; Gilad Shaar, 16; Naftali Fraenkel, 16. I didn't personally know these boys and yet, I felt it necessary to go to the funeral, alongside the thousands of others in attendance, to show my solidarity with the Jewish nation.




I was amazed to see how Israelis and Jews worldwide came together during this time for the same cause, to #BringBackOurBoys. Around the world, there were events to create awareness of the kidnapped boys and vigils  after the boys' deaths.


      80,000 people rally and pray in Tel Aviv for kidnapped Israeli teens

After the tragic news was released on July 1st of the three boys murder, the IDF's Operation Brother's Keeper quickly transformed to Operation Protective Edge. Since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge, more than 3,488 rockets have been fired from Gaza to Israel

As lucky as I was to be living relatively safely in Jerusalem and enjoying my time there, I have to remind myself that 64 soldiers were killed since the operation began and many are seriously wounded. Even though I had to go to a bomb shelter three times, that was nothing in comparison to other towns in Israel under constant rocket threat.

While I've been distraught during this time, I also have witnessed hope and determination in Israel. When there are 30,000 attendees at a lone soldier's funeral and countless opportunities to donate or volunteer, I feel a sense of pride. This pride derives from the immense support and accountability Israelis have showed to one another and the enduring resilience that makes up Israel.


                                Funeral for Lone Soldier Max Steinberg

 
Through the heartache, I found a community in Israel. When I attended the teenaged boys funeral, had a vigil with my Onward Israel Program, and prayed for Lieutenant Hadar Goldin with the town of Ra'anana, I created a unique Jewish bond. This bond I will carry with me for the rest of my life as I continue to advocate for Israel.

After this summer, I take ownership as a Jew to fight for the Jewish home land. I am not an IDF soldier, but I will find ways to show my support. Whether it's by donation, sharing articles on social media, or getting involved with AIPAC, I will do my part to defend a country I love.
 
   
                                                                                  
                               the nation of Israel lives  --עם ישראל חי!

Until next time in Israel, Shalom!

-Camille Pilar Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment